If you’ve never been to one of the Autism Society of America’s national conferences, I encourage you to attend one if at all possible. There is a wealth of information available through the workshops. The 2010 Autism Society of America National Conference will be held from July 7-10, 2010 in Dallas, Texas. In preparation for the conference, I’m going to write a series of blog posts that cover workshops available in specific areas. This first blog post will focus on the autism education workshops that will be held at the 2010 Autism Society of America Conference.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
- A Coaching Model for Better School Outcomes for Students with ASD with Kathy L. Gould, M.S. and Tina Erdmann
- What It Takes to Effectively Use Evidence-Based Practices in the Classroom with Ann Cox, Ph.D., S.L. Odom, Ph.D., and Susan M. Wilczynski, Ph.D.
- Situational Communication Boards for Nonverbal Students with Autism with Krista Smith, M.S., CCC-SLP and Kendra A. Turner, M. Ed.
- After-School and Extended-Day Services for Students with Autism: clinical and Legal Perspectives with Anne S. Holmes, M.S., CCC, BCBA and Ira Fingles, Esq.
- Organizing Classroom Environments with Christine Reeve, Ph.D., BCBA and Susan Kabot, Ed.D., CCC-SLP
Friday, July 9, 2010
- AAC Strategies for COMMUNICATION with Preschoolers and School-Aged Children with ASD with Meredith Potts, M.A., CCC-SLP
- Developing Meaningful IEP Objectives: Evaluation to Implementation with Ruth Aspy, Ph.D., Barry G. Grossman, Ph.D. and Susan Jamieson, M.Ed.
- Functional Reading for Children with Autism: Exceeding Traditional Expectations with Trisha McCain-Hines, M.Ed., Reading Specialist, Master Reading Teacher
- Reading Intervention Strategies for Children with High Functioning Autism and Asperger’s Disorder with Kary Johnson, Bilingual Reading Specialist
- The Self-Directed Transitional IEP: Mapping Measurable Post-Secondary Success with Herm T. Fishbein, Ed.D.
- Developing An Evaluation Team for Your Autism Program with Anita Kliewer, M.Ed., Trube Miller, M.Ed., Angela Cowan, M.Ed., Heather Hughes, M.Ed. and Jennifer Austin, M.Ed.
- Supporting the Educational Experience of ASD Students Through Online and Video Conferencing with Lisa King, M.Ed., Jane Thierfeld Brown, Ed.D and Lorraine Wolf, Ph.D.
- Including Children with Autism in the Music Curriculum: Playing Instruments and Beyond with Stephen M. Shore, Ed.D.
- Language Acquisition through Motor Planning with John Halloran, M.S., CCC-SLP
Saturday, July 10, 2010
- Peer Mentoring From the Bottom Up: Creating Safe Schools with Valeria Paradiz, Ph.D., Erika Purnilia, Student and Amanda Purnilia
- Helping Hands: A Caring School Community Program – “Kids Helping Kids” with Stephen Lockwood, TOH, M.Ed.
- If Safety is Your Priority, Physical Restraint is Not Your Option with Kimberly L. Sanders, M.S., Jason Craig, M.Ed. and Allyson Bateman, M.A.
- Online Education and Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders with Christopher S. Wyatt, Ph.D.